Areas of Practice
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
Wayne State University, LL.M.
University of Detroit, J.D.
University of Detroit, M.B.A.
Wayne State University, B.S.
In the News
- Eric Thomas Carver Named to Leading Lawyers List of Top Trust, Will and Estate Planning Lawyers in MichiganEarns Distinction Accorded to Just 23 Lawyers StatewideFebruary 4, 2014
- November 20, 2013
- One of Only 20 Michigan-Based Attorneys to be Recognized as Leading Lawyer in Trust, Will and Estate PlanningOctober 29, 2013
- Twenty-Three Other Dykema Lawyers Identified as Rising StarsSeptember 5, 2013
- One-Day Event to Cover Client Management, Probate Form Completion, Taxation and Other IssuesFebruary 18, 2013
- December 28, 2012
- Assumes Office on January 1, 2013December 12, 2012
- November 7, 2012
Eric Thomas Carver's practice focuses on Business Entity Planning; Taxation; Estate Planning; Family Wealth Transfers; Business Entity Formations; Corporate Planning and Taxation; Limited Liability Company Planning and Taxation; Tax Controversies; Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures; Real Estate Acquisitions, Charitable Giving and Charitable Trusts; Contested Estate, Trust and Probate Matters; Probate Litigation; and Decedent Estates and Probate Administration.
Additionally, Mr. Carver also:
- Works directly with individuals and families in the development of effective wealth transfer planning. This includes providing business and tax advice to family-owned businesses, as well as the development of overall estate planning documentation, including Wills, Revocable Living Trusts, Family Limited Partnerships, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts, and Charitable Trusts.
- Provides legal and business advice to individuals and business entities engaged in the formation and development of business ventures, including the use of corporate and pass through entities.
- Provides specific tax representation with respect to the structure of partnerships, limited liability companies and similar pass through entities, as well as corporate and subchapter S issues related to mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, and tax-free reorganizations.
- Represents both buyers and sellers in the purchase or sale of businesses, through tax-free mergers, stock purchase arrangements, and asset acquisitions.
- Provides general representation to mid-size companies, including day-to-day legal representation, as well as coordination and oversight of legal services for the client.
- Assists private companies in the development of effective compensation and long-term benefit plans through the use of equity incentive, stock bonus, "phantom stock," and related compensatory techniques.
- Represents private companies in connection with access to capital securities and markets, including private placement of securities, and continuing compliance with federal and state securities laws.
- Represents both business entities and individuals seeking venture capital financing, as well as representing venture capital companies and investors in funding early-stage and start-up business entities.
- Provides assistance in the formation of private charitable foundations, including representation in connection with obtaining private letter rulings and determination letters.
- Provides representation to individuals and business entities in connection with tax controversies before the Internal Revenue Service, including representation of clients before the United States Tax Court.
- Provides representation to estates, trusts, trustees, and beneficiaries in contested estate, trust and probate administration matters, including representation of clients before the Florida, Illinois, Michigan, and New York Probate Court Systems.
- Received a Certificate of Completion from Michigan's ICLE Probate and Estate Planning Program.
- Received a Certificate of Completion from Michigan's ICLE Family Law Program.
Prior to Dykema, Mr. Carver was a tax consultant for Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur Group, and served in multiple administrative and legislative capacities for United States Senator Carl Levin.
- "Pet Trusts: Estate and Tax Planning Considerations Under Michigan Law"2006Michigan Tax Lawyer, State Bar of Michigan
- "EPIC's Prudent Investor Rule: What Every Practitioner Should Know"2000Michigan Probate and Estate Planning Journal, State Bar of Michigan
- "Is There a 'QSSS' In Your Future? An Examination of the Proposed Regulations for Qualified Subchapter S Subsidiaries"1998
- "A Valuation Primer: Trends and Techniques for Estate Planners"1998Michigan Bar Journal, State Bar of Michigan
- "Closely Held Businesses"ICLE Michigan Basic Handbook, Sixth Edition
Memberships & Involvement
- The Florida Bar
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Illinois State Bar Association
- The New York State Bar Association
- The Chicago Bar Association
- The Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- The Oakland County Bar Association
- The Wayne County Probate Bar Association
- Committee Chairperson, Business Entities Division of The Taxation Section of The State Bar of Michigan, 2003-2005
- The Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan, Detroit, Inc., Director, 2005-2010
- The Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan, Detroit, Inc., Secretary and Treasurer, 2011
- The Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan, Detroit, Inc., Vice-President, 2012
- The Financial and Estate Planning Council of Metropolitan, Detroit, Inc., President, 2013
- Committee Member, Oakland Bar Association's Probate, Estates and Trust Committee, 2011
- Wayne State University Law School Board of Visitors, Member
- Oakland University School of Business Administration's Paralegal Advisory Board, Member
- Senior Lecturer for Oakland University's School of Business Administration and The Center for Executive and Continuing Education Program
- Senior Lecturer for Oakland University's College of Arts and Science and Legal Assistant Program
- Adjunct Professor for the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law
- Adjunct Professor for the Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Adjunct Professor for the Ave Maria School of Law
- Member of the Detroit Athletic Club
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient of an AV® Preeminent™ Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2010-2014. Copyright 2013 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
- Recognized in Michigan Super Lawyers® for Estate & Trust Litigation. Estate Planning & Probate, and Business Corporate, 2010-2013
- Named a Michigan Leading Lawyer in the areas of Trust, Will & Estate Planning Law by the Leading Lawyers Network, 2014. Law Bulletin Publishing Company
- Recognized in Crain's Detroit Business as Area's Top Lawyers 2009-2010
- Named a Top Lawyer by dbusiness Magazine for Trusts and Estates, 2010, 2013 and 2014