Areas of Practice
- Automotive Industry Group
- Automotive, OEM & Supplier Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- Financial Industry Group
- Consumer Financial Services
- Insurance Industry Group
- Insurance Related Litigation
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Products Industry Group
- Pharmaceutical National/Regional Litigation Counsel Services
- Pharmaceutical Liability and Related Claims
- Pharmaceutical Commercial Litigation
- Michigan, 1998
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2010
University of Detroit, J.D., magna cum laude
University of Michigan, A.B.
Mr. Dufrane's practice focuses on litigating consumer financial services disputes for national financial institutions, pharmaceutical and medical device defense, automotive product liability defense, toxic tort, complex commercial litigation, and insurance litigation. He represents some of the nation's largest financial institutions in matters concerning mortgage and consumer lending. Prior to becoming a Member of the Firm, Mr. Dufrane was the lead associate on a team that served as National Coordinating Counsel for a major automotive manufacturer. In this capacity, he was responsible for handling the defense of matters in diverse jurisdictions throughout the United States.
Mr. Dufrane also maintains an active role in several professional and legal organizations. In 2011, in recognition of his commitment to the legal community, he was appointed by Governor Rick Snyder to the Military Appeals Tribunal for the State of Michigan, where he will serve a four-year term. He was also recently appointed to serve as a Hearing Panelist for the State of Michigan Attorney Discipline Board.
Mr. Dufrane joined Dykema in September, 2000, following a two-year clerkship with the Honorable Patrick J. Duggan. He has also served as a legal assistant with a major law firm in Washington, D.C., and as a summer associate with Dykema.
- Defended major financial institutions in numerous matters alleging predatory lending; see, e.g., Breitmeyer v. CitiMortgage, Inc., 2009 WL 3628005 (E.D. Mich. Oct. 30, 2009), granting Motion to Dismiss complaint alleging TILA and HOEPA violations.
- Numerous automotive product liability matters
- Successfully represented a Michigan municipal entity in a lengthy, multi-million dollar insurance coverage action.
- Complex insurance coverage litigation
- June 16, 2011
- January 8, 2009
Memberships & Involvement
- State Bar of Michigan, Litigation Section
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Macomb County Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Federalist Society
- Defense Research Institute
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- University of Detroit School of Law Alumni, Board of Directors
- Macomb Community College, Legal Assistant Advisory Board
- Military Appeals Tribunal for the State of Michigan
- Michigan Attorney Discipline Board, Hearing Panelist