Areas of Practice
- Illinois, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
John Marshall Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Law Review, Articles Editor
DePaul University, B.S.
- with highest honors
- Beta Alpha Psi
Maria A. Diakoumakis is a Senior Attorney in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice Group in the Chicago office of Dykema. Ms. Diakoumakis has represented secured creditors, landlords, equipment lessors, indenture trustees, Chapter 11 trustees, unsecured creditors, and liquidating trustees in all aspects of corporate restructuring matters, including chapter 7, 11 and 13 proceedings, out-of-court workouts, and assignments for the benefit of creditors. She regularly represents secured lenders and mortgage servicers in a wide range of bankruptcy litigation matters, and in cash-collateral, relief from stay, and plan confirmation proceedings. Ms. Diakoumakis has successfully defended multimillion dollar preference and fraudulent transfer lawsuits on behalf of creditors in various industries in multiple jurisdictions throughout the nation. She also represented one of the nation’s largest financial institutions in connection with the United States Trustee’s investigation of Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings and practices.
Ms. Diakoumakis has also represented private clients and financial institutions in a variety of financing and transactional matters across several industries, including preparation of private placement memoranda and offering statements in connection with issuance of debt securities, and preparing organizational documents for newly formed entities. She is a Certified Public Accountant with working knowledge of federal and state tax matters relating to individual taxation.
Prior to joining Dykema, Ms. Diakoumakis was a corporate restructuring associate at a Global 100 law firm. Maria received her J.D., cum laude, from The John Marshall Law School, where she was an editor of the Law Review, and her B.S. in Accounting and Finance from DePaul University with highest honors, where she was one of the top 25 graduating seniors in the College of Commerce. She is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, and the Chicago Chapter of the International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC).
Seminars & Speeches
- Tenant Defaults and Bankruptcies, BOMA Suburban ChicagoJune 30, 2010
- "The Practicability of the Commercial Impracticability Defense"Spring 2011Commercial Business & Litigation Vol.12 No.3 ABA
- November 16, 2016
- Six Chicago-Based Dykema Attorneys Earn Thanks from National Immigrant Justice Center for Recent Pro Bono EffortsLawyers Provided Immigrant Clients, All Too Often Overlooked, Access to JusticeAugust 19, 2013
- March 22, 2010
Memberships & Involvement
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Hellenic Bar Association
- Hellenic Professional Society of Illinois
Awards & Recognition
Named an Illinois Emerging Lawyer in Bankruptcy & Workout Law: Commercial and Rights/Commercial Collections Law, by The Leading Lawyers Network, 2016