Areas of Practice
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Washington University, J.D.
- Law Quarterly, Editor-in-Chief
Brown University, M.A.
University of New Hampshire, B.S., cum laude
In the News
- Paul Laurenza Presents at Intelligent Transportation Society of America’s 2014 World Congress on Intelligent Transport SystemsSeptember 8, 2014
- Partners with John Hancock Financial for Fourth Consecutive Year; Thousands Expected to Attend Event at Home of Declaration of IndependenceJune 27, 2014
- Cautions that While Use of Automated Technologies Continues to Grow in Auto Industry, “Driverless” Cars Pose ChallengesMay 14, 2014
- Paul Laurenza to Speak at Kickoff Event for AutoBeat Group’s Advanced Mobility Project on January 15, 2014Will Discuss Regulatory and Liability Issues Associated with Connected Vehicles at Midday Event Just Prior to Opening of North American International Auto Show 2014January 7, 2014
- Notes that Many in Business Community May Not Fully Understand Stringent Requirements to Make This ClaimNovember 5, 2013
- Will Participate in Panel Discussion at Connected Vehicles and Apps ForumOctober 22, 2013
- Dykema Lawyer Addresses “Liability in the Connected World”September 26, 2013
- Dykema Attorneys to Examine Liability, Regulatory and Intellectual Property Issues Related to Connected Vehicle TechnologiesAugust 15, 2013
- Notes that Preliminary Policy Statement Tries to Provide Clarity to Confusing Treatment of Automated-Related TechnologiesJune 12, 2013
- Paul Laurenza to Serve as Featured Speaker at ACI Consumer Products Regulation and Litigation ConferenceTwo-Day Event to Feature Prominent Leaders from Federal Regulatory Agencies, In-House and Outside Counsel, Industry Associations and Consumer Products CompaniesMay 28, 2013
- Paul Laurenza to Serve as Featured Speaker at ACI Consumer Products Regulation and Litigation ConferenceTwo-Day Event to Feature Prominent Leaders from Federal Regulatory Agencies, In-House and Outside Counsel, Industry Associations and Consumer Products CompaniesMay 21, 2013
- Mirrors Previous Agreement with Kolcraft Enterprises, Inc. in Which Agency Mandates Compliance Programs in Response to Alleged Less-than-Timely ReportingMay 7, 2013
- Commissioners Sharply Divided on Addition of Compliance Requirements in AgreementApril 16, 2013
- Can Manufacturer Say “Made in USA” if Product Includes Some Imported Content?April 5, 2013
- Auto Industry Shows Signs of Recovery but OEMs and Suppliers Still Face Challenges in Supply Chain Management, Litigation and Privacy Issues Related to Connected Vehicles TechnologyOctober 17, 2012
- Discussion Features Laurenza's White Paper, "Regulation of the 'Connected Vehicle'—Issues and Models"February 28, 2012
- October 31, 2011ComputerWorld
- May 16, 2011SupplyChainBrain
- May 16, 2011Ward's Automotive.com
Paul Laurenza is the Office Managing Member of the Firm's Washington, D.C. office. He represents consumer product, automotive and other clients on federal regulatory and related litigation issues, including those before the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Department of Transportation, Federal Trade Commission and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Mr. Laurenza's technical background, coupled with over three decades of legal experience in regulatory and litigation issues, allows him to deal with a diverse range of legal matters for clients across a broad spectrum of industries.
Mr. Laurenza has represented corporations and associations in matters involving consumer product safety regulation and liability; antitrust; commercial and government contracts; environmental regulation and sustainability; transportation; customs/international trade; advertising and marketing; intellectual property and professional liability.
His clients, which include the world's leading sports apparel and equipment supplier, a major multinational energy company, and a national industry association, benefit from his prompt and thorough counsel and strategic advice. For example, his handling of numerous consumer product safety issues for a global manufacturer was cited by the client in selecting Dykema to receive its Legal Vendor of the Year award.
Mr. Laurenza has handled approximately 70 recalls of consumer products and motor vehicles and equipment and has represented clients in related agency investigations, penalty proceedings and litigation. He recently was lead defense counsel in In re Maxfield and Oberton, LLC, the first Consumer Product Safety Commission administrative recall proceeding since 2001. He currently represents a consortium of global manufacturers on a broad range of legal and strategic issues involving a multimillion-dollar research and development contract with the federal government to develop innovative safety communications technologies.
Mr. Laurenza is a frequent speaker at bar association and industry programs and has authored more than 40 articles on regulatory, trade and litigation topics in leading domestic and international legal, business and trade periodicals.
- Handles matters before federal and state courts, administrative agency tribunals, boards of contract appeals and arbitration panels.
- Represents leading manufacturers, importers, retailers and industry associations in the consumer product, food and drug, transportation, construction and industrial sectors.
- Represents clients in a wide array of product safety and liability, health, advertising and warranty, import and distribution, and related matters, including product recalls, agency investigations, agency rulemakings and resulting federal appellate court reviews.
Seminars & Speeches
- Liability Issues for the Connected and Automated Vehicle,” Panelist, 2014 World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems, Detroit, MichiganSeptember 7, 2014
- The "Connected" Vehicle - Regulatory and Liability Issues, Specialty Equipment Market AssociationNovember 7, 2013
- Managing Company Risk: CPSC Administrative Litigation, American Conference InstituteJune 26, 2013
- U.S. Compliance and Product Liability Issues for Bicycle Manufacturers and Importers, Light Electric Vehicle AssociationSeptember 21, 2012
- The "Connected Vehicle"—Update on Regulatory and Liability Issues, Third International Summit on the State of the Connected VehicleJanuary 2012
- Privacy Concerns and Data Ownership in Intelligent Vehicles, SAE 2011 Intelligent Vehicle Systems SymposiumNovember 8, 2011
- The "Connected Vehicle"—Issues and Models, World Services Group Annual MeetingSeptember 16, 2011
- Regulatory Models and Deployment of Connected Vehicle Technology, Second International Summit on the State of the Connected VehicleSeptember 30, 2010
- VII Deployment—Regulatory and Non-Regulatory Issues, First Annual International Summit on the State of the Connected VehicleApril 16, 2009
- Implied Preemption by Safety Agency Regulation—Recent Developments, International Consumer Product Health & Safety OrganizationFebruary 20, 2008
- "Shedding Light on FTC's 'Made in USA' Ad Policy"November 1, 2013Law360
- "NHTSA's Drive for Automated Vehicle Safety"June 6, 2013Law360
- "Companies May See More Compliance Rules After Kolcraft"April 9, 2013Law360
- "Making a U.S. - Origin Claim: Understanding Critical Distinctions"January 25, 2013World Services Group
- 2012 Automotive Institute Survey ResultsOctober 17, 2012Dykema Publication
- "Assessing Vehicle Reporting and Recall Requirements"Spring 2011In-House Defense Quarterly, DRI
- Dykema White PaperMarch 14, 2011Product Safety & Liability Reporter, BNA
- "CPSC Reporting: Retailers Should Understand Their Obligations" (Co-author)December 1, 2010Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
- "The case for lawmaking"September/October 2010ITS International
- "BPA stays on regulatory watch"September 10, 2010Plastics News
- "Product Safety Law Imposes Major Burdens on Auto Suppliers"May 2009Aftermarket Business
- " 'We Intend to Preempt'—Developments in Preemption by Safety Agency Regulation"Spring 2008Products Liability, American Bar Association Section of Litigation
- "Jurisdiction, Marketing and Liability Issues—Consumer Product or Medical Device"Fall 2006In-House Defense Quarterly, DRI
- "Lead in Consumer Products Raises New Concerns"May 22, 2006Product Safety & Liability Reporter, BNA
- "Confidentiality and Disclosure Issues under TREAD" (Co-author)September 2005American Bar Association Section of Litigation
- "Understanding CPSC Reporting, Recalls, and Civil Penalties" (Co-author)May 2004American Bar Association Section of Litigation
Memberships & Involvement
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- International Consumer Product Health & Safety Organization
- Connected Vehicle Trade Association, Board of Directors, Vice Chairman