Areas of Practice
- U. S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
George Washington University, J.D.
University of Michigan, College of Architecture and Urban Planning, B.S.
In the News
- February 16, 2016
- Ross Altman to Present at the Illinois State Bar Association Introduction to Public Private PartnershipsApril 24, 2015
- January 26, 2015
- November 17, 2014
- Appointed for Three-Year Term; Will Help Shape Strategic Direction of Global OrganizationFebruary 24, 2014
- Discusses Legal Consequences, Possible Remedial Actions When Participants in Construction Projects Seek Chapter 11 ProtectionOctober 23, 2012
- June 13, 2012
Ross J. Altman is a member in Dykema's Chicago office and leads the Firm's Construction Law practice. He focuses his practice on matters pertaining to design, engineering, procurement and construction. He represents owners, contractors, design professionals, lenders and others in matters ranging from drafting and negotiation of contracts to resolution of disputes and claims.
Mr. Altman also counsels clients in the transaction structure, financing and administration of construction and has worked on projects throughout North America, South America, Europe and Asia. He has represented public entities engaged in public-private partnership (P3) projects as well as concessionaires and other parties involved in the design, construction, supply, operation and maintenance of infrastructure projects. Mr. Altman has helped clients solve issues relating to surety bonds and other project-related security and has drafted special legislation to address such matters.
Mr. Altman has worked on turnaround teams, having acted as general counsel for two global companies attempting to reorganize under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, as well as resolving international insolvency matters. One such company was a global manufacturer and EPC contractor.
Mr. Altman is an adjunct professor at the University of Miami School of Law, teaching a course in drafting and negotiating design agreements and construction contracts. He frequently writes and lectures on topics that pertain to the design professions, construction industry and project finance, and served as a contributing editor to The Real Estate Finance Journal. He is also a co-editor of a the law school textbook, Construction Law, and authored two chapters of the book, which was published by the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry.
Chambers USA repeatedly recognizes Mr. Altman for his construction law work, and in 2011 noted, “Construction specialist Ross Altman is an experienced and respected attorney with a fantastic reputation for handling large international transactions.” Also in 2011, he was named Construction Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers and named one of the Top 100 Illinois lawyers in real estate by the Leading Lawyers Network. Mr. Altman has been designated an Illinois Super Lawyer by Law & Politics since 2005 and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America for construction law. He is recommended in Legal 500 and is identified by the International Who's Who of Construction Lawyers.
Representative construction projects by ENR sector include:
- General building, including notable high-rise projects in Chicago and New York, destination entertainment and leisure facilities
- Manufacturing plants
- Power projects, including waste-to-energy, co-generation plants, and renewable energy
- Industrial process facilities, such as pulp and paper mills, steel mills, pharmaceutical plants, food and other processing facilities
- Petroleum facilities
- Transportation, including roads and highways, dredging and marine facilities, bridges, light rail, and inter-modal facilities, among others
- Hazardous waste projects
- Telecommunications projects
Seminars & Speeches
- One Sided Contracts: Do They Pay-Off, American College of Construction Lawyers Annual Conference, Laguna Beach, CaliforniaFebruary 20, 2016
- Performance Contracting and Related Issues in Plant Construction Contracts, Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys, Chicago, IllinoisOctober 20, 2015
- The History of P3 Projects, ISBA Law Ed, Introduction to Public Private Partnerships (P3s)May 1, 2015
- Delivery of Construction Projects Through P3s, The Illinois CPA Society Construction Industry Conference, Oakbrook Terrace, IllinoisOctober 30, 2014
- Termination for Convenience: Limitations for the Private Sector and Drafting Considerations American College of Construction Lawyers - 25th Annual Conference, Scottsdale, ArizonaFebruary 21, 2014
- The Players in Construction; Anatomy of a Construction Project; Project Delivery Systems ABA Forum on the Construction Industry - The Fundamentals of Construction Law, Chicago, IllinoisNovember 8, 2013
- How to Select a Project Delivery Method CLE Institute State Bar of Montana, 9th Annual Construction Law Institute, Bozeman, MontanaOctober 18, 2013
- The Project from Hell: Construction Turnarounds and Workouts, International Bar Association, Annual Conference, Dublin, IrelandOctober 2, 2012
- Public-Private Partnerships, Land Use Institute: Planning, Regulation, Litigation, Eminent Domain, and Compensation, Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2012
- Project Delivery Systems, Construction Law and Mechanics Liens Subcommittee of the Real Property Law Committee, Chicago Bar AssociationMay 7, 2012
- Transactional Considerations, Does the Project Delivery System Really Matter, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry, 2012 Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NVApril 26, 2012
- "Public-Private Partnerships"January 1, 2010Construction Law: Transactional Considerations, at 5-1, Stanley P. Sklar, ed., IICLE
- Co-editor of Construction Law, ABA Publishing2009
- Author of "Participants in the Design and Construction Process," Chapter 2; and "Project Delivery Systems," Chapter 42009Construction Law, ABA Publishing
- "Design Professional's Liability to the Contractor"2006Architect and Engineer Liability: Claims against Design Professionals, at 115, Kevin R. Sido, ed., Aspen Publishers 3d ed.
- January 11, 2016
- 12 Attorneys Receive “Lawyer of the Year” HonorsAugust 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- January 13, 2015
- Firm Receives 10 “Lawyer of the Year” HonorsAugust 18, 2014
- Nearly One in Four Dykema Practitioners Earn Distinction; Seven Merit “Lawyer of the Year” HonorsAugust 16, 2013
- June 6, 2013
- More Than One in Four Dykema Practitioners Earn DistinctionAugust 23, 2012
Memberships & Involvement
- American College of Construction Lawyers, Fellow and Member of Board of Governors
- American Arbitration Association Panel of Arbitrators for Construction Industry Disputes
- American Bar Association Forum Committee on Construction Industry, former Member of Steering Committee for Division 12, Owners and Lenders
- International Bar Association, International Construction Projects Committee
- Society of Illinois Construction Attorneys, Founding Member
Awards & Recognition
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Construction Law and Real Estate Law, 2006-Present. Copyright 2015 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
Named a Leading Construction Lawyer by Chambers USA, 2007-2015
Named the 2011 Chicago "Lawyer of the Year" for Construction Law by Best Lawyers© 2012
Recipient of an AV® Preeminent™ Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
Recommended in Legal 500
Selected for International Who’s Who of Construction Lawyers, 2010-2013
Recognized in Illinois Super Lawyers® for Real Estate and Business & Corporate, 2011-2016
Recognized in Law & Politics as an Illinois Super Lawyer for Construction Law, 2005-2010
Named an Illinois Leading Lawyer for Construction Law by the Leading Lawyers Network, 2008-2016. Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Recognized in the Top 100 Real Estate Lawyers in Illinois by Leading Lawyers Network, 2009-2010
Fellow in the American College of Construction Lawyers