As a full-service law firm with specialized knowledge of the energy industry, Dykema serves as the single source for our clients’ energy-related needs. In this capacity, we regularly counsel clients in matters related to mergers and acquisitions, asset purchases, strategic alliances and joint ventures, IPO’s, and financing.
Backed by a deep wellspring of knowledge, experience, and the Firm’s extensive resources, our energy team structures financings, evaluates tax-planning concerns and advises on a broad spectrum of finance-related matters. We provide a full array of business and corporate services to our clients, including:
- Venture capital and other public and private debt and equity financings
- Mergers, acquisitions and initial public offerings
- Securities issues
- Analyzing the tax consequences and structuring of mergers and acquisitions from either the buyer’s or seller’s perspective
- Planning redemptions, distributions and recapitalizations for corporations
- Tax-planning for multi-state taxpayers
- Tax-exempt financings
- Property tax advising
- Public-Private Partnership creation and financing
- Corporate governance and corporate counseling
- Commercial finance
Represented Constellation, a subsidiary of Exelon Corp., in a complex 10-year agreement to design, build and operate a new $130 million, 27-megawatt biogas co-generation power plant at the Los Angeles Bureau of Sanitation’s Hyperion treatment facility.
Represented AltaGas Ltd. in its $1.135 Billion acquisition of SEMCO Holding Corporation.
Represented Swedish Biogas in a joint venture with the City of Flint, Michigan to extract methane gas from “solid organic waste” at the Flint wastewater treatment plant.
- Dykema recently served as lead outside regulatory and corporate counsel for Cloverland Electric Cooperative in its purchase of Edison Sault Electric Company—an investor owned utility operating as a subsidiary of Wisconsin Energy Corporation. Dykema assisted with financing and due diligence, negotiated the purchase agreement, and worked with several state and federal agencies, including the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Michigan Public Service Commission, the Department of Agriculture, and the Federal Communications Commission to receive all of the required regulatory approvals necessary to approve the purchase.
- Represented two rural electric cooperatives, Rock Energy Cooperative and Jo-Carroll Energy Cooperative, in acquiring the natural gas and electric service territories of Alliant Energy Corporation’s South Beloit Water, Gas and Electric Company and Interstate Power & Light Company.
- Represented Choptank Electric Cooperative in its acquisition of the electric and gas assets of a municipal utility.
- Regularly represent transmission owners in Asset Purchase Agreements for the purchase of substations and other transmission assets.
- Represented a national bank in connection with its issuance of direct pay letters of credit to support tax-exempt and taxable variable rate demand bonds issued by state development and finance authorities to finance the acquisition, construction, installation and equipping of four landfill gas to energy projects in Illinois and Arizona.