We have a long history with the industry, providing a legal and a scientific perspective that lies at the crux of the types of high-profile product liability matters that can dramatically impact a company’s reputation and bottom line. Having been repeatedly retained as national counsel for science and expert witnesses, Dykema attorneys combine a thorough understanding of the medical and scientific issues with exceptional legal judgment to develop proactive and creative steps to anticipate, avoid and proactively address the potential impact of litigation. Should litigation ensue, the Dykema team is well positioned to analyze and formulate a comprehensive science-based strategy and to identify, retain and prepare the highly qualified expert witnesses necessary to mount the best possible defense.
When trial proves to be the best path to resolution, Dykema lawyers have deep first chair trial experience that few firms can match.
From the initial threat of mass tort litigation involving a drug or medical device to the resolution of the final pending case, Dykema attorneys know the science, the law and the strategies necessary to minimize risk and to maximize results.
- Defended regulated and non-regulated medical devices, including heart products, prostheses and shunts, medical machinery, equipment and monitoring systems, drugs, biological products and products alleged to have caused toxic torts.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in litigation regarding gadolinium-based contrast agents.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company in litigation regarding a cardiac surgery drug.
- Defended a major pharmaceutical company in litigation regarding the use of phenylpropanolamine in its over-the-counter cough/cold treatment.
- Represented a leading medical technology company against claims that its pain pumps caused degenerative arthritis in plaintiff’s shoulder; we prevailed on summary disposition.
- Represented a medical technology company against product liability claim alleging defective bone screw.
- Served as one of five national firms representing a leading pharmaceutical company in complex litigation with multiple state and federal lawsuits involving a single product; our role was to develop and manage experts, and participate in aspects of the case involving scientific presentations.