Today's owners of original creative works face the formidable challenges of copyright in a digital age. Protecting copyrights in a rapidly evolving legal environment can be difficult when original content is so readily copied and disseminated across borders.
Dykema has in-depth knowledge and experience helping owners of books and other literary works; music; motion pictures; paintings and sculpture; computer programs; web content; and architectural blueprints identify, protect and defend their copyrightable assets across the United States and throughout the world. Our scope of services is comprehensive and includes:
- Counseling on copyright issues and registration
- Enforcing copyrights and copyright licenses
- Obtaining copyright registrations
- Protecting trade secrets
- Pursuing and defending copyright infringement claims and disputes by litigation in U.S. courts and conducting alternative forms of copyright dispute resolution such as arbitration
- Represented an affiliate of Citicorp in defense of a software copyright matter in which the claimant sought over $15 billion in damages. Prevailed on summary judgment finding no liability and won award of attorneys' fees, upheld on appeal.
- Defended a television station in a copyright infringement claim arising from the use of a deceased police officer's photograph on a news program. The copyright owner's claim, which was based upon a contract to photograph all police officers and ownership of resulting photographs, was rebuffed on grounds of fair use.
- Defeated asserted apparel design copyright infringement claims for lack of originality.
- Obtained summary dismissal on behalf of a major television network in a copyright infringement case.
- March 8, 2016
- December 2, 2014
- June 19, 2014
- April 2, 2014
- March 27, 2014
- August 15, 2016
- August 18, 2015
- July 24, 2015
- March 10, 2014
- July 8, 2013
- Dykema Opens Minneapolis Office with Addition of Top Corporate, Commercial and Intellectual Property LawyersJanuary 7, 2013
- "Defend Trade Secrets Act: What does it mean in the real world — and what do lawyers do now?"Inside CounselJune 23, 2016
- "3D printing and its implications on copyright law"The Copyright LawyerMay 2016
- "Know Your Domain: An audit of Internet domain names can become an undiscovered asset on the bottom line"Metropolitan Corporate CounselNovember 28, 2015
- The Extraterritorial Reach of U.S. Patent Law, Minnesota IP Institute, (Co-Author)3rd Edition, 2005
- "The King is Dead - And Overruled"September 19, 2011
- "Fighting Online Counterfeiters at Internet Speed"December 28, 2010
- "New Indictment of In-House Counsel Indicates Enhanced Efforts to Hold Corporate Executives Accountable for Food and Drug Law Violations"November 15, 2010
- Maximizing the Effectiveness and Impact of a Limited Anti-Counterfeiting Budget, 7th Annual Anti-Counterfeiting & Brand Protection East CoastSeptember 28, 2011
- Ask the Experts: What Would You Do? 30 Answers in 30 Minutes Anti-Counterfeiting & Brand Protection West CoastJanuary 26, 2011