Physicians, dentists and non-physician practitioners (NPPs) work in an evolving environment filled with complex regulation and rich with opportunity. Dykema attorneys have in-depth experience in both unraveling the complex regulations and identifying professionally beneficial opportunities for clients.
For health care practitioners, we offer comprehensive representation spanning all areas of their businesses including practice ownership structure, employment issues, tax and estate planning and asset protection, licensure, scope of practice, and payment and coverage issues.
We provide guidance on the full range of regulatory issues and Medicare/Medicaid compliance (including “incident to” and “shared visit” billing), as well as advice on the implications of state and federal health care reform and state law regulation of the “corporate practice” of medicine/dentistry. Our team assists practitioners with implementation and use of electronic health records and HIPAA and HITECH compliance.
Clients wishing to buy, sell or merge their professional practices benefit from our wealth of knowledge and experience in mergers and acquisitions and the full spectrum of general corporate issues, such as operating and shareholder agreements, and management and general contract negotiations. Dykema litigators represent clients facing issues involving professional liability, business disputes, payer audits and investigations, professional license disciplinary matters, contract issues and general litigation matters.
- Assisted practitioners in forming both individual and multi-member PCs and PLLCs
- Assisted in the sales of professional practices to other practitioners and to health systems
- Assisted practitioners in withdrawing from the PLLC or PC in which they have been practicing
- Regularly advised clients with regard to scope of practice and payer billing and coverage issues pertaining to NPPs
- Drafted agreements between physicians and NPPs to define the scope of their affiliation
- Structured management contracts between professional practices and non-practitioner management companies
- Assisted in all phases of billing audits (internal and payer) and advised regarding refunds/self-disclosures
- North Texas DentistryApril 2015
- "Texas Dental Board Considers Controversial and Anti-Competitive Rule Changes Restricting Dental Service Organizations "North Texas DentistryDecember 2014
- June 15, 2016
- Non-Physician Practitioners - What May They Do? What May They Bill? Key Compliance Issues for 2015 SeminarJanuary 22, 2015