In today’s world of changing market and economic conditions, the value of real estate and personal property are generally in a state of decline. Dykema attorneys are assiduous advocates for confronting the challenges inherent in real and personal property tax appeals, and other state and local tax matters. We assist our clients, which range from Fortune-ranked companies to small businesses, in monitoring and controlling their tax obligations by providing sophisticated and efficient representation to achieve tax savings.
Our lawyers are not only experienced in complicated tax matters but also in litigating tax cases—a rare combination in today’s legal arena. We review individual strategies and issues in order to present persuasive arguments supported by our thorough understanding of property tax issues. Our lawyers appeal property taxes in all available forums—including state treasury departments, tax tribunals and other state courts and agencies—boasting a strong track record of successful outcomes. In addition we represent clients in other property value related litigation including condemnation cases. Our experience also includes drafting and implementing tax legislation as well as obtaining state and local tax and economic investment incentives.
We are accustomed to working with general counsel, in-house tax departments and business owners alike. Our lawyers have a reputation for professionalism, competence and integrity, and are highly respected by taxing authorities, which in many instances allows us to obtain favorable resolutions of our cases prior to a hearing. Furthermore, our years of providing a broad range of services to a wide variety of clients allows us to be efficient and thorough in all of our representations.
Recent representation includes:
- Achieving a $90 million true cash value reduction for industrial real property.
- Negotiating a $12 million tax reduction for industrial personal property clients.
- Reinstating a revoked property tax abatement through state legislation.
- Resolving a personal property tax depreciation case saving the taxpayer millions of dollars.
- Representing a hotel client in obtaining various investment tax and economic incentives.
- Obtained property tax exemptions for wide range of health care and charitable institutions.
- Successfully defended soft drink manufacturer against municipal revocation of tax incentive.
- Represented national computer manufacturer in landmark case invalidating State multiplier tables.
- November 13, 2014
- February 24, 2014
- January 23, 2014
- November 22, 2013
- October 23, 2013
- November 5, 2012
- Michigan Tax LawyerFall 2013
- "Real Property Taxes in Michigan," (editor and chapter author)Institute of Continuing Legal EducationOctober 24, 2011
- Smart Business DetroitOctober 2011
- Personal Property Tax Reform - It Ain't Easy, Co-Presenter, MICPA 2015 Michigan Tax Conference, Novi, MichiganNovember 4, 2015
Articles & Alerts
- Assists Those Who Own or Lease Industrial or Commercial Real Property or Industrial Personal PropertyApril 22, 2013
- February 28, 2013