Areas of Practice
- Texas, 1976
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1976
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., Plan II, with high honors, 1973
Jamie Smith is Vice Chairman - Texas of the Firm. In addition to his law practice, he focuses on assisting with strategic expansion of the firm's Texas-related business. Mr. Smith is a widely recognized corporate attorney experienced in business transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, crisis management, formation and financing of start-up and venture backed companies and counsel regarding implementation of strategic business initiatives for companies of various sizes in multiple industries.
Former Chairman and Managing Director of Cox Smith, 2005-2015.
Led the restructuring of governance and ownership in complex multi-generational family businesses, including a large meatpacking company, a multi-location retaurant operation and a construction services business.
Serves as outside general counsel for a leading, Texas-based private biomedical research institution.
Serves as outside counsel to the Board and senior leadership of the nation's largest municipally-owned utility.
Represented medical technology companies in connection with alleged noncompliance with economic development agreements
Led internal investigation regarding alleged misconduct related to expansion of large infrastructure project.
Representation of a beverage distribution company in acquisitions of additional distribution territories through stock and asset acquisitions.
Represented independent exploration and production (E&P) companies in public securities offerings, note offerings, asset acquisitions and dispositions, corporate governance, and Board-related matters.
Served as outside general counsel for a large regional discount retailer in connection with general corporate and compliance matters, Board matters, securities matters such as an initial public offering and 1934 Act compliance and corporate representation in connection with two Chapter 11 proceedings.
Represented a large regional cafeteria operator in connection with Board governance, 1934 Act compliance, and general corporate matters.
Represented a national fast-food franchisor in connection with general corporate and securities matters, including in connection with a hostile takeover by a competitor.
Representation of clients in structuring and documenting acquisitions, dispositions, partnerships and joint ventures in diverse industries, including energy, distribution, food service and real estate.
Representation of companies relating to public and private offerings of securities and 1934 Act compliance matters.
- Jamie Smith quoted in The Texas Law Book, “Texas Firms Oppose Bar Disciplinary Counsel’s Ban on Chief Officers.”June 27, 2014
- clawback (n.) /ˈklô,bak/: to get back by strenuous or forceful meansJuly 27, 2015
- 12 Attorneys Receive “Lawyer of the Year” HonorsAugust 18, 2015
- September 24, 2014
- December 10, 2013
- October 10, 2013
- August 22, 2013
- August 7, 2013
- February 21, 2013
- January 10, 2013
- September 6, 2012
- 50 Cox Smith Attorneys Named 2012 Best Lawyers in America; Firm is Top Listed in San Antonio in 26 CategoriesSeptember 9, 2011
Memberships & Involvement
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Bar Foundation
- American & San Antonio Bar Associations
- American & San Antonio Bar Foundations
- Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce: Board of Directors, 2005-present; Vice Chair, 2012; State Budget Task Force, Member, 2011-2012
- San Antonio Economic Development Foundation: Board of Director, Finance Committee
- Texas Biomedical Research Institute, Board of Trustees, Executive Committee, and Corporate Secretary, 1998 - present
- Cancer Therapy & Research Center, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Board of Governors
- University of Texas Health Science Center Development Board
- San Antonio Academy, former Board member and Vice-Chairman
- Mission Road Ministries, former Board member and Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees
Awards & Recognition
- Named by Best Lawyers ® as San Antonio Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year," 2014, 2016
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rating
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Corporate Law, 2005-Present. Copyright 2015 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
- Scene in SA, "San Antonio's Best Lawyers," 2005-2011