Areas of Practice
- Texas, 2004
- Michigan, 1999
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1999
Brigham Young University, B.A., 1996
Jeff Gifford counsels clients on mergers and acquisitions, public and private securities transactions, domestic and international commercial transactions, specializing in health care related matters. He works closely with accountants, investment bankers and other professionals to address and handle the complex issues that characteristically arise in transactions. Jeff also advises publicly traded and privately held companies on organizational restructuring and corporate governance matters. He serves as the Co-leader of both the Firm's Mergers and Acquisitions subgroup and the Family Business Transition Team.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Dispositions
Acquisition Creates Largest Asphalt Refiners and Marketers
Acquisition of asphalt operations and assets for $450 million plus inventory of approximately $370 million. The acquisition was significant for the client in terms of strategic impact, as it made our client one of the largest asphalt refiners and marketers on the U.S. East Coast and strengthened its position as the third largest independent liquids terminal operator in the world.
Sale of Leading Tier 1 Global Automotive Supplier
Facilitated the sale of one of the premiere global exterior and interior automotive rearview mirror manufacturers to a Canadian investment group for $320 million, plus the assumption of $95 million in debt.
Acquisition by National Private Equity Fund of Largest IBM Value-Added Reseller in the United States
Assisted our clients, the largest IBM value-added reseller in the United States and its majority shareholders, in the sale of the company through a recapitalization transaction with a national private equity fund. Counseled the client on structuring, tax, employment, employee benefits, intellectual property and other issues leading to the closing of the transaction. As a result of this transaction, one of our clients has formed his private foundation to assist children with an initial gift of $75 million.
Acquisition’s and Sales of Multiple State Banks and Branches
Assisted numerous clients with their acquisitions or sales throughout Texas.
Acquisition of Market Research and Analysis and Advertising Company
Facilitated the acquisition of a private market research, analysis and advertising company, by one of the leading publicly traded market research and advertising companies.
Sale of One of the Nation’s Largest Security Services Companies
Assisted a client publicly traded in the U.K. with a $75 million disposition of all of its U.S. security service entities to a U.S. publicly traded company, which allowed our U.K. client to focus its efforts on building a stronger base in its core U.S. business.
Acquisition of a Thin Film Deposition Equipment Manufacturer in Taiwan
Coordinated and directed our client’s acquisition of a competing manufacturer located in Taiwan with strengthened our client’s strategic position in Asia allowing greater delivery capabilities to Asian markets.
Acquisition of Two Canadian Manufacturers of Water Heating Systems and Related Products
Helped our client to acquire two related Canadian private manufacturers of water heating systems and related products, providing our client with a better strategic position in Canadian and North American markets.
Acquisition of the Largest Privately Owned Pest Control Business in the United States
Representation of London Stock Exchange Company in an approximate $160 million stock and asset acquisition of the largest privately owned United States pest control business. Transaction was significant due to its strategic importance to client, as target would become platform for North American growth in this industry.
Other M&A work includes:
- Lead counsel for the acquisition of $30 million international well servicing rigs business
- Lead counsel for the sale of $55 million worth of international well servicing rigs business
- Lead counsel for the sale of an aircraft engineering and finishing business specializing in VVIP and head-of-state aircraft interiors valued at $40 million
- Lead counsel for the sale of $13 million historical work of art
- Lead counsel for the sale of a historical Boeing B-17G bomber and related assets valued at $4 million
- Lead Counsel for the sale of an interior design, engineering, and maintenance service business valued over $30 million
Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in a $1.2 million manufacturing joint venture investment
$216 Million TARP Offering to the Department of Treasury
Represented our client in a $216 million offering to the U.S. Department of Treasury to provide our client with additional capital to facilitate further lending and potential acquisitions of other financial institutions.
$100 Million Shelf Offering
Assisted our client with a $100 million shelf offering of its common stock providing our client with greater capital resources to expand its U.S. and European operations into Asian markets.
$125 Million Public Debt Offering and Refinancing
Orchestrated a complex refinancing for an oil and gas development and production client that included a $125 million debt offering and subsequent exchange.
$150 Million Technology Company Public Offering
Representation of a public company in connection with a $150 million shelf offering.
$88 Million Secondary Offering
Representation of a public company in connection with a $88 million follow-on public offering.
Numerous Private Offerings
Represented numerous health care, technology, manufacturing and financial institutions in raising private funds to further corporate objectives.
Representation of Several Clients Before the Securities and Exchange Commission
We regularly assist several clients with their preparation and filing of SEC reports and related filings, including response letters to SEC comment letters.
ERP Software Licensing Transaction
Drafted and negotiated software license and related professional service agreements with major computer software and information technology consulting companies for comprehensive ERP software suite affecting virtually every aspect of the client company.
Numerous International Commercial Transactions
Represented numerous clients in various contractual arrangements involving companies doing business in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa and Australia.
Seminars & Speeches
- "Recapitalization: The Third Way," Texas CEO Magazine, speaker Jeffrey C. GiffordFebruary 12, 2015
- “What’s Your Exit Strategy?” Business Transition & Succession Seminar Hosted by Cox Smith, Padgett Stratemann and Navidar, April 8thApril 8, 2014
- October 30, 2015
- October 9, 2015
- Federal Appeals Court Reverses Dismissal and Revives Securities Fraud Class ActionAugust 12, 2015
- clawback (n.) /ˈklô,bak/: to get back by strenuous or forceful meansJuly 27, 2015
- January 14, 2015
- July 18, 2013
- August 31, 2012
- March 30, 2012
- June 1, 2011
- Despite Strong M&A Pace, Positive Outlook for M&A and Economy Declines to Lowest Level in YearsOctober 29, 2015
Memberships & Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Ethics Follies Presenter
- North San Antonio Chamber Board of Directors, 2012-2014
- North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce Leadership Lab, Alumnus
- Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, Leadership San Antonio, Class XXXIV
- Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development Council, Steering Committee Member, 2008
- Alamo Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, numerous positions held
- San Antonio Management Society, Co-founder and Former Treasurer
Awards & Recognition
- Selected for inclusion as a "Texas Rising Star," Law and Politics Magazine, 2010-2011
- Scene in SA, "San Antonio’s Best Lawyers," 2008-2011
- Scene in SA, "San Antonio's Rising Stars," 2009
- San Antonio Business Journal, "Forty Under Forty," 2009