Areas of Practice
- New York, 1991
- Michigan, 1996
American University, J.D.
- Law Review, Senior Articles Editor
Cornell University, B.A.
Jin-Kyu Koh is the Director of Dykema's Business Services Department, as well as the Leader of the Korean Business Team. He is a former Office Managing Member of the Detroit office and the former Leader of the Corporate Finance Practice Group.
Mr. Koh has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions of both public and private companies. He regularly represents companies in a wide range of financing transactions, including private and public offerings of equity and debt securities, secured and unsecured debt facilities, and angel and venture capital financings. Mr. Koh also provides general corporate representation to many of the Firm's casino gaming, biotechnology and life sciences, information technology, sports and entertainment, financial institution and Asian-based clients. Prior to joining Dykema, Mr. Koh worked at a large international New York-based law firm focusing on mergers and acquisitions and regulatory matters involving financial institutions and communications-related companies.
Mr. Koh is a frequent speaker and writer on corporate finance matters, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financings, private placements, cross-border transactions, corporate governance and business ethics.
Some of Mr. Koh's significant transactions are shown below:
Representative Mergers and Acquisitions
- Art Van Furniture
- Acquisition of Mattress World
- Asterand, Inc.
- Sale of BioSeek to DiscoverRx
- Sale of Tissue Business to Stemgent, Inc.
- Acquisition of BioSeek, Inc.
- Merger with Pharmagene plc
- Citizens Banking Corporation
- Sale of Citizens Bank Illinois, National Association to Metropolitan Bank Group, Inc.
- $820 million acquisition of F&M Bancorporation
- Complete Infusion Services, LLC
- Sale to Lincare
- Compuware Corporation
- Sale of Changepoint, Uniface and Professional Services to Marlin Equity Partners
- Acquisition of dynaTrace Software, Inc.
- Acquisition of BEZ Systems, Inc.
- Acquisition of DocSite, LLC
- Acquisition of Gomez, Inc.
- Sale of certain Quality Solutions product line assets to Micro Focus Holdings Limited
- Acquisition of Proxima, Inc.
- Acquisition of Steel Trace Limited
- Acquisition of ProviderLink, Inc.
- Acquisition of Adlex, Inc.
- Acquisition of Covisint, LLC
- Guardian Industries, Inc.
- $160 million tender offer for and acquisition of Cameron Ashley Building Products
- Health Alliance Plan of Michigan, Inc.
- Acquisition of Midwest Health Plan, Inc.
- The Majestic Star Casino, LLC
- $253 million acquisition of Trump Indiana, Inc.
- Palace Sports and Entertainment, Inc.
- Sale of Asheville Tourists (Class A affiliate of Colorado Rockies)
- Sale of the Tampa Bay Lightning and the St. Pete Times Forum
- Acquisition of the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Ice Palace
- Pioneer Surgical Technology, Inc.
- Acquisition of Angstrom Medica, Inc.
- Acquisition of Encelle, Inc.
Representative Financing Transactions
- Asterand, Inc.
- Series D Preferred Stock
- Series C Preferred Stock
- Series B Preferred Stock
- Compuware Ventures, LLC
- Equity investment in Deadline Detroit
- Equity investment in Glocal, Inc.
- CCM Merger, Inc. (MotorCity Casino)
- $300 million of Senior Notes
- The Majestic Star Casino, LLC
- $303.5 million of high-yield debt securities (three tranches of secured and unsecured notes) and follow-on exchange offer
- $260 million of 9 1/2 percent Senior Secured Notes and follow-on exchange offer
- $80 million Secured Credit Facility
- $130 million of 10 7/8 percent Senior Secured Notes and follow-on exchange offer
- Pioneer Surgical Technology, Inc.
- Series A Preferred Stock
- Common Stock
Seminars & Speeches
- November 17, 2016
- Power of the Past. Force of the Future - Mergers and Acquisitions Panel, Panelist, Michigan Minority Procurement Conference 2016, Detroit, MichiganMay 3-5, 2016
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Panelist, Crains Detroit Business General & In-House Counsel SummitJune 10, 2015
- April 30, 2013
- October 24, 2016
- October 30, 2015
- October 31, 2014
- "Venture Capital Directors - The Heightened Risk of Serving More Than One Master"The Michigan Business Law Journal
- "Three Tips for Avoiding Small Business Pitfalls"Small Business Conference
- "Sarbanes-Oxley Is Not Just For Public Companies These Days"The Deal.com
- "Private Companies Toe the SOX Line"Mergers and Acquisitions Journal
- "M&A in the Midwest"American Venture Magazine
- "Current Trends in Deal Structures"M&A Chicago
- May 6, 2016
- June 17, 2015
- May 11, 2015
- November 13, 2014
- Leader of Dykema’s Corporate Finance Practice Shares Insights on M&A, Legal Project Management and the Firm’s Korean Business TeamJune 6, 2014
- Brendan Cahill, Jin-Kyu Koh Quoted in Crain’s Detroit Business Special Report on Michigan M&A MarketCahill Observes that Capital on Sidelines Creates Eagerness to Invest; Koh Cites Decline in Earnout Provisions in Middle-Market DealsMarch 19, 2014
- Transaction Valued at $160 Million; Significant Step in Helping Compuware Accelerate Topline Revenue Growth, Improve Future ProfitabilityMarch 14, 2014
- Survey Findings Continue to Elicit Extensive Media CoverageNovember 22, 2013
- November 20, 2013
- Presentation Will Feature Panel Discussion of Issues Influencing Economy, M&A Market in Coming YearNovember 1, 2013
- Industry Leaders More Optimistic About Deal-making Environment in the Coming YearOctober 31, 2013
- Twenty-Three Other Dykema Lawyers Identified as Rising StarsSeptember 5, 2013
- Dykema Automotive Institute Video—“Doing Business in Korea and with Korean Companies in the U.S.”—Now Available for Viewing OnlinePanelists Discuss Strategic, Political, Legal Issues Involved When Conducting Business with Fifth-Largest Automotive Producer in the WorldJune 17, 2013
- Dykema Automotive Institute to Present Webinar on “Doing Business in Korea and with Korean Companies in the U.S.”Session to Address Current Strategic, Trade, Political and Legal Issues Facing Automakers, Suppliers and Others in Auto SectorApril 15, 2013
- November 7, 2012
- June 13, 2012
- Dykema Named as Legal AdvisorMay 14, 2012
- Publication of HIPAA/HITECH Final Rule Signals Major Changes for Covered Entities and Business AssociatesNew Compliance Requirements Take Effect September 23, 2013; What You Need to Do NowFebruary 7, 2013
- November 14, 2016
- September 1, 2016
- 14 Attorneys Receive “Lawyer of the Year” HonorsAugust 15, 2016
- July 6, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- November 16, 2015
- September 8, 2015
- 12 Attorneys Receive “Lawyer of the Year” HonorsAugust 18, 2015
- May 28, 2015
- November 20, 2014
- A Decade’s Worth of Data; Cautious Optimism for M&A and Economy Returns This YearOctober 30, 2014
- September 2, 2014
- Firm Receives 10 “Lawyer of the Year” HonorsAugust 18, 2014
- January 14, 2014
- More Optimism for the M&A Market; Positive Outlook for U.S. EconomyOctober 30, 2013
- Nearly One in Four Dykema Practitioners Earn Distinction; Seven Merit “Lawyer of the Year” HonorsAugust 16, 2013
- June 6, 2013
- More Than One in Four Dykema Practitioners Earn DistinctionAugust 23, 2012
- February 9, 2012
- Rankings Put Firm’s Attorneys on Top of the Pack in 25 PracticesOctober 27, 2011
- June 20, 2011
- September 9, 2010
Memberships & Involvement
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- International Association of Korean Lawyers
- Michigan Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Michigan Asian Pacific American Affairs Commission, Appointed Member
- Korea Auto Parts Park, Advisor
- National Kidney Foundation of Michigan, Board Member, (2011-present), Chairman of the Board (2016-present), Vice-Chairman (2014-2016), Secretary (2012-2014)
- Daycroft Montessori School, Board of Trustees, 1997-2005
- Leadership Detroit XXVII, graduated June 2006
- MichBio, Firm Liaison
- Wayne State University Business School, Adjunct Professor, Business Ethics, 2004
Awards & Recognition
Named a Leading Corporate/M&A Lawyer by Chambers USA, 2011-2016
Recognized in The Best Lawyers In America® 2007-Present for corporate law, mergers and acquisitions law, and securities/capital markets. Copyright 2015 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
Named a Michigan Leading Lawyer in the areas of International Business & Trade, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Publicly Held Companies Law by the Leading Lawyers Network, 2014-2016. Law Bulletin Publishing Company
Named a Top Lawyer by dbusiness Magazine for Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law and Securities/Capital markets Law 2011, 2013-2017.
Recognized in Michigan Super Lawyers® for Mergers & Acquisitions, Business/Corporate, and Health Care 2009-Present
Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce (APACC), Salute to Excellence Award Recipient, 2010