Areas of Practice
- Automotive Industry Group
- Automotive Product Liability Litigation
- Automotive, OEM & Supplier Litigation
- Consumer Financial Services
- Insurance Industry Group
- Insurance Related Litigation
- Pharmaceutical and Medical Products Industry Group
- Pharmaceutical National/Regional Litigation Counsel Services
- Pharmaceutical Intellectual Property, Technology, Licensing and Related Litigation
- Pharmaceutical Government Policy
- Michigan, 1997
Detroit College of Law, J.D., cum laude
Wayne State University, B.A.
In the News
- January 26, 2015
- December 3, 2014
- Sherrie L. Farrell Authors Article for Metropolitan Corporate Counsel about the Role of General Counsel When It Comes to CybersecuritySeptember 25, 2014
- Sherrie Farrell Quoted in Inside Counsel Article That Touts Dykema’s September 12 Cybersecurity ConferenceEvent Features GCs Who Will Discuss Cybersecurity Risks, Impact on Business PracticesSeptember 10, 2013
- March 8, 2012
- January 16, 2012
- Sources of Misery: A controversial new rule requires companies to peer deep into their supply chains to see if they are unwittingly supporting violence in AfricaJuly 15, 2011CFO.com
Sherrie L. Farrell is the Office Managing Member for the Firm's Detroit office, Leader of Dykema's Cybersecurity group, as well as Chair of the Firm's Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Ms. Farrell advises clients on all aspects of business disputes, including a broad range of complex litigation matters. She has significant experience serving as a National Coordinating Counsel. She serves as national discovery counsel for a Fortune 25 manufacturer in asbestos and other toxic tort litigation. Ms. Farrell also had the primary responsibility to develop and defend Fortune 25 corporate fact and expert witnesses in national tort litigation.
Ms. Farrell has been involved in successfully implementing strategies related to both discovery disputes and trial issues in numerous jurisdictions across the country.
Ms. Farrell’s extensive experience includes complex commercial and general business matters, and pharmaceutical litigation. She also has represented manufacturers, closely-held corporations, auto suppliers and construction companies in both litigated and non-litigated commercial matters.
Ms. Farrell has significant experience in corporate bankruptcy matters and business restructuring. She has represented troubled suppliers, staffing corporations, construction companies and other regional and national businesses in creditors’ rights matters, out-of-court restructurings and as debtors’ and creditors’ counsel in bankruptcy proceedings. She also has represented financial institutions in matters involving breach of contract, loan workouts, and UCC issues.
Ms. Farrell has a breadth of experience in leading document and information investigations. She has worked extensively with corporate counsel to develop and implement discovery strategies.
In addition to providing legal counsel, she provides counsel to area businesses on regional government and public policy issues and has experience serving the City of Detroit during three different mayoral administrations
Prior to joining Dykema, Ms. Farrell was a journalist and public relations practitioner.
Ms. Farrell recently was featured in Law360's Minority Powerbrokers series. She also was named as a Michigan's Chronicle Newspaper 2015 Woman of Excellence. She was honored as a 2014 Michigan Super Lawyer for Business Litigation; 2015 Top Lawyer by dBusiness Magazine; and named in Best Lawyers© for Commercial Litigation for 2013-2015.
Seminars & Speeches
- Protect and Defend—Cybersecurity and Data Privacy, The Detroit Chapter of the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance ProfessionalsFebruary 5, 2015
- Managing a Data Breach, Panelist, Corporate Counsel Women of ColorOctober 2014
- Litigation Management: Thinking Outside the Box, Panelist, Network of Trial Law FirmsAugust 2014
- Who's Minding Your Supply Chain? Network of Trial Law Firms—Cybersecurity PanelApril 24, 2014
- Data Privacy—Is Your Company Prepared?, Panelist, Network of Trial Law FirmsApril 2014
- Maintaining Momentum for Diversity and Inclusion: Perspectives from the General Counsel's Office, DykemaSeptember 2013
- Top Ten Litigation Risk Assessment Tips for 2013, Speaker, Network of Trial Law FirmsNovember 2012
- Ethics Panel Discussion: Crisis Management For In-House Counsel, Network of Trial Law Firms (Panel Member)2011
- Platinum in the Profession, State Bar of Michigan, Young Lawyers Division (Panel Member)2010
- The Role of National Coordinating Counsel, American Bar Association, Women in Transportation and Emerging Issues in Motor Vehicle Product Liability Seminar (Panel Member)2007
- Freedom of Expression on the Air, American Bar Association, Emerging Issues in Motor Vehicle Product Liability ProgramApril 2007
- Managing Business Risks: How to Utilize Insurance Vehicles to Minimize Business Exposures, Privately-Owned Business SeminarJune 2006
- The Art of Working with Outside Counsel-Partnering to Deliver Quality Legal Services, American Bar Association, Emerging Issues in Motor Vehicle Product Liability ProgramApril 2006
- November 24, 2014The National Law Journalhttp://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=1202676974039/The-Weak-Link-Suppliers-and-Vendors?slreturn=20141115161300
- "GCs As Firewalls: Three Familiar Roles That Place General Counsel Squarely At The Cybersecurity Table"August 22, 2014Metropolitan Corporate Counselhttp://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/articles/29812/gcs-firewalls-three-familiar-roles-place-general-counsel-squarely-cybersecurity-table
Memberships & Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Wolverine Bar Association, President, 2008-2009
- Women's Lawyers Association of Michigan, President, 2000-2001
- State Bar of Michigan Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee, 2010-present.
- Gift of Life-Michigan Governing Board, Board Member, 2011-present
- Legal Aid and Defender Association, Inc., Board of Directors, Member, 2010
- Advisory Board of Minority Organ Tissue Transplant Education Program (MOTTEP) of Detroit, Member
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Detroit, Class XVIII, Member
- Wayne State University, Board of Visitors, Member
- University of Detroit Mercy Law School, Inns of American Court, Barrister
- Black Family Development, Inc., Board Member
- Just the Beginning Foundation, Mentor, Legal Profession Diversity Pipeline Program
Awards & Recognition
- Named a Michigan Chronicle 2015 Women of Excellence Honoree
- Named to Savoy Magazine's 2015 Most Influential Black Lawyers list
- Named a Top Lawyer by dbusiness Magazine for Commercial Litigation, 2015
- Recognized in Michigan Super Lawyers® for Business Litigation, 2014
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation, 2013-2015. Copyright 2014 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC.
- 2012 Wolverine Bar Association President's Award for promotion of diversity in the legal profession
- 2011 Robert Millender Visionary Award, Michigan State College of Law, Black Law Students' Association
- 2005 Honorary Alumni of the Year, Wayne State University School of Law
- 1995 Regional Winner, Top Oralist, National Association of Trial Lawyers, National Oral Advocacy Competition