Areas of Practice
University of Detroit, J.D.
Michigan State University, B.A.
In the News
- Offers Perspective on Federal Government’s Intensified Efforts to Identify, Punish Employers Who Fail to Document Employee EligibilityJune 9, 2014
- July 2, 2012
James G. Aldrich is a member in Dykema’ s Labor and Employment Practice Group in the Firm's Bloomfield Hills office. He has significant international business and immigration experience including advising on the immigration aspects of investment opportunities in the U.S., corporate formation and the employment of foreign nationals in the United States. He develops long-term plans to coordinate the business goals of clients with available immigration benefits, and assists clients in the preparation of visa petitions and supporting documentation.
Mr. Aldrich focuses his practice on representing clients before the US immigration service, Department of Labor and other governmental agencies including immigration-oriented issues related to establishing new companies in the United States through foreign investment and the transfer of workers to the United States including obtaining green cards and non-immigrant visas.
He also assists clients with confirming the employment eligibility of their workforces and defending them in government investigations in this area.
Assisted major seasonal hotel in obtaining Q-1 Cultural Exchange Visitor visas for Austrian chefs when H-2B visas were unavailable.
Assisted client in obtaining permanent residence as an alien of extraordinary ability based on award of the Shingo Prize for excellence in lean materials manufacturing.
Assisted client in recovering legal immigration status for several executives after immigration issues were ignored during sale of their company.
Seminars & Speeches
- How to mess Up an I-9 and How to Survive the Audit, Dykema Employment SeminarOctober 2014
- Employment Eligibility Verification and Enforcement Update, Original Equipment Suppliers AssociationOctober 2013
- Exploring Legal Issues Affecting Employers and Offering Proven Solutions, Dykema Employment SeminarNovember 15, 2011
- Addressed Chinese Business and Government Groups in Shanghai, Wuxi, Suzhou, Chongqing and Guiyang, China regarding immigration benefits through investing in the United States.November 2009
- Addressed Chinese Business and Government Groups in Shanghai, Guiyang and Guangzhou, China regarding immigration benefits through investing in the United States.November 2008
- Immigration Law and Impending Legislation (Co-presenter), BNP Media's Best of Success Conference, Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2007
- The ICE Man Cometh and How to be Ready for Him," BNP Media's Best of Success Conference, Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2007
- Addressed Chinese Business and Government Groups in Shanghai, Guiyang, Ashun and Zunyi, China regarding visas available through investing in the United States.July 2007
- November 2014Inside Counselhttp://www.insidecounsel.com/2014/11/01/labor-employment-digest-november-2014
- June 2014Metropolitan Corporate Counselhttp://www.metrocorpcounsel.com/articles/28936/federal-government-continues-targeting-hiring-practices-us-employers
- Immigration Guide 2012 (General editor and contributing author)June 2012Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE)
- "Feds Continue Audits of Immigration Violations: Owners, Managers Face Fines, Asset Seizure and Prison"June 2011
- "ICE Begins Aggressive Employer Audit Campaign"Fall 2009Law Notes
- "Q-1 Cultural Exchange Visa: An Alternative to the H-2B?"July 2008Lodging Magazine
- "Paying an Employee Who Does Not Have a Social Security Number"October 2007Roofing Contractor Magazine
- "ICE Steps Up Aggressive Employer Audit Campaign"Summer 2007Michigan Business Law Journal
- "Responding to a 'No-Match' Letter from the Social Security Administration"June 2007Roofing Contractor Magazine
- Illinois Immigration Law Book (Editor)2006ICLE
- "Visas for Foreign Registered Nurses Now Available"Fall 2005Michigan Medical Law Reporter
- December 18, 2015
- December 17, 2015
- Court Rules Government Must Reissue OPT STEM Regulations; May Accelerate Proposed Changes to the OPT ProgramAugust 18, 2015
- State Department Announces Delays in Passport and Visa Processing Caused by Technical Problems with Computer SystemsJune 17, 2015
- May 26, 2015
- December 17, 2014
- President Obama’s Immigration Announcement Will Affect Employers, Not Just Those Illegally Present in the United StatesNovember 21, 2014
- May 28, 2014
- January 13, 2014
- Dykema Confirms USCIS Has Granted Santa Business Visitor Status and Will Allow Him to Bypass Ports of Entry on December 24, 2013December 18, 2013
- Homeland Security Secretary Implies USCIS Will Grant Immigration Benefits to Married Same-Sex CouplesJune 27, 2013
- U.S. Employers Required to Use New Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 Beginning May 7, 2013May 2, 2013
- May 15, 2012
- April 12, 2012
- March 26, 2012
- March 16, 2012
- Criminal Fines and Forfeitures in the MillionsMarch 8, 2011
- March 3, 2011
- Feds Continue Employment Audits, Fining and Seizing Assets of Companies Employing Illegal Aliens; Owners and Managers Facing PrisonFebruary 28, 2011
- January 24, 2011
- Homeland Security Secretary Implies USCIS Will Grant Immigration Benefits To Same Sex Couples
- U.S. Employers Required To use New Employment Eligibility Form I-9 Beginning May 7, 2013
- USCIS Delays Implementation Of New I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form
- Organic Herb Grower in Washington Fined $1 Million for Knowingly Employing Illegal Aliens
- Owners of Oakland California Restaurant Chain Sentenced for Hiring Illegal Aliens, Tax Violations
- Bureau Requests Guidance on Structure of Arbitration Study
- Supreme Court Appears to Disagree with Obama Administration on Arizona's Immigration Statute
Memberships & Involvement
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Member
- Bloomfield Township Zoning Board of Appeals