Areas of Practice
University of Detroit, J.D.
Michigan State University, B.A.
In the News
James G. Aldrich, Jr. is a member in Dykema’s Labor and Employment Practice Group in the Firm's Bloomfield Hills office. He has significant international business and immigration experience. He researches investment opportunities in the U.S., forms corporations and other business entities, arranges international joint ventures, develops long-term plans to coordinate the business goals of clients with available immigration benefits, and assists clients in the preparation of visa petitions and supporting documentation. He also coordinates reverse-trade missions for Chinese businesses seeking investment opportunities in the United States.
Prior to joining Dykema, Mr. Aldrich worked in the firm of Dickinson Wright, PLLC, where he has specialized in a full range of corporate and immigration matters. His practice includes providing counsel to closely held and family businesses in the areas of corporate, international and business planning. He also assists clients in Europe, South America, Canada, Mexico, the Middle East and Asia as well as in the United States.
- Assisted major seasonal hotel in obtaining Q-1 Cultural Exchange Visitor visas for Austrian chefs when H-2B visas were unavailable.
- Assisted client in obtaining permanent residence as an alien of extraordinary ability based on award of the Shingo Prize for excellence in lean materials manufacturing.
- Assisted client in recovering legal immigration status for several executives after immigration issues were ignored during sale of their company.
Seminars & Speeches
- Exploring Legal Issues Affecting Employers and Offering Proven Solutions, Dykema Employment SeminarNovember 15, 2011
- Addressed Chinese Business and Government Groups in Shanghai, Wuxi, Suzhou, Chongqing and Guiyang, China regarding immigration benefits through investing in the United States.November 2009
- Addressed Chinese Business and Government Groups in Shanghai, Guiyang and Guangzhou, China regarding immigration benefits through investing in the United States.November 2008
- "The ICE Man Cometh and How to be Ready for Him," BNP Media's Best of Success Conference, Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2007
- "Immigration Law and Impending Legislation" (Co-presenter), BNP Media's Best of Success Conference, Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2007
- Addressed Chineses Business and Government Groups in Shanghai, Guiyang, Ashun and Zunyi, China regarding visas available through investing in the United States.July 2007
- Immigration Guide 2012 (General editor and contributing author)June 2012Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE)
- "Feds Continue Audits of Immigration Violations: Owners, Managers Face Fines, Asset Seizure and Prison"June 2011
- "ICE Begins Aggressive Employer Audit Campaign"Fall 2009Law Notes
- "Q-1 Cultural Exchange Visa: An Alternative to the H-2B?"July 2008Lodging Magazine
- "Paying an Employee Who Does Not Have a Social Security Number"October 2007Roofing Contractor Magazine
- "ICE Steps Up Aggressive Employer Audit Campaign"Summer 2007Michigan Business Law Journal
- "Responding to a 'No-Match' Letter from the Social Security Administration"June 2007Roofing Contractor Magazine
- Illinois Immigration Law Book (Editor)2006ICLE
- "Visas for Foreign Registered Nurses Now Available"Fall 2005Michigan Medical Law Reporter
Memberships & Involvement
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Member
- Governmental Affairs Committee, Automation Alley
- Oakland Business Roundtable
- Asia Committee, Detroit Regional Chamber
- Bloomfield Township Zoning Board of Appeals