Richard L. Lieberman
Richard Lieberman is a senior counsel in the Chicago office of Dykema. Richard advises individuals and private and public companies in all aspects of tax planning for business and investment activities.
He concentrates his practice on the tax aspects of complex business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and leveraged buyouts as well as recapitalizations, partnership and corporate restructurings, and general tax advice and planning, handling transactions which range in size from several million dollars to more than $500 million.
Richard’s practice also focuses on executive compensation matters in connection with mergers and acquisitions and other business transactions, including the design and implementation of equity and cash incentive compensation and retention programs, and the negotiation of executive employment, change in control and separation agreements.
- DePaul University College of Law, LL.M., Taxation, 1990
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., International Legal Studies, 1984
- ITT Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1983
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.B.A., Accounting and Finance, 1980
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- Recognized as a "Leading Individual" by the International Tax Review, World Tax Edition, 2001-2005
Member of Law360’s Tax Authority Federal Advisory Board, 2020
American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, member
Adjunct Professor, IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, 1993–1996
Editorial Board of the Journal of Multistate Taxation, 1991-1999
Areas of client focus
PracticesCorporate and FinanceEmployee Benefits and Executive CompensationFederal TaxNonprofits and Tax-Exempt OrganizationsReal Estate Tax Incentives and Economic DevelopmentState and Local TaxTax
Taxpayers who received disaster relief and other special payments during 2022 now have guidance from…
On December 9, 2022, the Office of Chief Counsel of the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) issued a…