Gary P. Gordon
Gary P. Gordon's practice focuses on regulatory matters, state procurement issues, constitutional issues, and litigation.
He appears before various State boards and commissions including the Public Service Commission, the Board of State Canvassers, and other administrative agencies and is recognized as one of the State's leading authorities on Election and Campaign Finance law. He has litigated and continues to litigate cases at all levels of State and Federal courts. Gary frequently speaks to groups on election and campaign finance matters and has been called on to provide advice and testimony to the Legislature on public employment issues.
Prior to joining Dykema, Gary was Chief Deputy Attorney General for the State of Michigan. He had responsibility for all operations of the office including human resources, budget, legislative liaison, communications, and oversight of all law divisions, consisting of approximately 300 attorneys.
- Wayne State University, J.D.
- Michigan State University, B.A., with honors
- Michigan, 1976
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" for Government Relations by Best Lawyers in America® 2011, 2016, 2021
- Fellow of the State Bar of Michigan Foundation
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Administrative/Regulatory Law, First Amendment Law, and Government Relations Practice, 2010-Present. Copyright 2015 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken SC
- Named a Michigan Leading Lawyer in the area of Election, Political & Campaign and Governmental, Municipal, Lobbying & Administration Law by the Leading Lawyers Network, 2014-2017. Law Bulletin Publishing Company
- Recognized in Michigan Super Lawyers® for Administrative Law, Appellate, Government Relations, Legislative & Governmental Affairs, and Constitutional Law, 2019-Present
- Recipient of the 33rd Annual Distinguished Brief Award, Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law Review, 2018
- Recipient of an AV® Preeminent™ Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- State Bar of Michigan
- Certified Facilitative Mediator, Ingham County Circuit Court
- Member of the Case Evaluation Panel in Ingham County, Labor and Employment Cases
Areas of client focus
PracticesGovernment SolutionsPolitical Compliance, Elections, and Campaign FinanceHealthcareGovernment Investigations and Corporate ComplianceAppellate and Critical MotionsAdministrative Hearings and LicensingLong-Term and Post-Acute Care ProvidersFirst AmendmentHealthcare Compliance
Law360 Profiles Dykema’s Cannabis Team as a 2022 “Practice Group of the Year”
Dykema’s Cannabis Team was profiled by Law360 as part of its recognition as a “Practice Group of the…
Dykema’s Cannabis Group Named “Practice Group of the Year” by Law360
Dykema, a leading national law firm, announced that its Cannabis Industry Group was recognized as a…
180 Dykema Lawyers Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© 2023 and Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch”
Dykema, a leading national law firm, announced today that 180 of its attorneys, in multiple practice…