Nationally recognized for our “excellent depth and breadth of knowledge” by Chambers USA, Dykema lawyers serve a range of national and regional private equity and venture capital funds as well as their portfolio companies. Our clients include venture capitalists, private equity investors, institutional financiers and angel investors throughout the United States.
We assist our private equity and venture capital clients in every phase of investment, acquisition, and disposition transactions, with a focus on providing creative and effective advice in competitive bidding processes. We pride ourselves on helping clients “get deals done."
Our Private Equity and Venture Capital Practice Group brings to bear the resources of the entire firm—including all aspects of mergers and acquisitions, commercial finance, tax structuring, executive compensation, labor and employment, environmental, real estate diligence and risk assessment.
We also regularly represent both public and private companies seeking private equity and venture capital financing. Our clients include emerging and startup companies in sectors ranging from biotechnology to information technology and e-business to wireless security.
We strive to deliver a great outcome to each client in pursuit of funding from private equity and venture capital. By fully understanding our clients’ needs and businesses, Dykema attorneys are able to structure strategically appropriate, creative capital-raising transactions—such as seed and angel financings, mezzanine financings, venture capital investments, leveraged acquisitions and enterprise recapitalizations—that meet specific client financing needs.
Our strengths and services in this area include:
- Planning and structuring all aspects of a transaction
- Evaluating and preparing documentation and agreements, including term sheets, purchase contracts, equity commitment letters and sponsor guarantees, shareholder, operating and joint venture agreements
- Negotiating with adverse interests, potential partners and other counterparties, including target companies, participating funds, institutional lenders, contractors and employees
- Meeting the numerous compliance and governance challenges of a complex regulatory environment
- Lobbying—through our government policy advisors—members of Congress, state legislatures and various regulatory agencies and municipalities to promote client interests
- Represented a mezzanine SBIC fund in its financing of the acquisition of a portfolio company of a mezzanine and debt equity investment firm.
- Represented a global private equity firm in its platform acquisition of a global automotive OEM and Tier 1 supplier of aluminum and ductile iron components including chassis, powertrain components and modules.
- Represented a middle-market private equity fund in two platform acquisitions—a specialty engineering services company (first transaction for the fund) and an industrial services company.
- Represented a portfolio company of a middle-market private equity fund in dispositions of its aftermarket automotive parts division and its engine controls parts division.
- Represented an account receivables collection company in the sale of a majority equity stake to a private equity firm, and continue to represent the company after the transaction.
- December 27, 2016
- November 26, 2014
- May 27, 2014
- March 24, 2014
- Brendan Cahill, Jin-Kyu Koh Quoted in Crain’s Detroit Business Special Report on Michigan M&A MarketMarch 19, 2014
- February 12, 2014
- December 23, 2013
- December 3, 2013
- December 3, 2013
- November 22, 2013
- July 17, 2013
- August 18, 2015
- October 30, 2014
- January 16, 2014
- January 14, 2014
- January 8, 2014
- October 30, 2013
- May 23, 2012
- November 17, 2016
- February 23, 2016
- Merge & Purge: Understanding Deal IR Strategies, Chicago Chapter of the National Investor Relations Institute (NIRI), panelistFebruary 13, 2013
- June 5, 2012 (Los Angeles-area)
- May 23, 2012 (Detroit) and May 24, 2012 (Chicago)