For many clients, estate planning is a sensitive issue. Dykema attorneys understand the nuances as well as the laws that apply to this unique area of law.
We prepare wills, revocable living trusts and powers of attorney for financial and medical treatment decisions. We structure irrevocable and special-needs trusts, such as generation-skipping trusts, insurance trusts and charitable trusts and prepare family-limited partnerships and limited liability companies. Our lawyers represent fiduciaries in the administration of estates and trusts and prepare individual and fiduciary income tax returns. When necessary, we represent clients in litigation, audits and tax court proceedings.
Our full range of estate planning and administrative services also encompasses:
- Analyzing the tax consequences of retirement plan distribution alternatives
- Counseling on income, gift, estate and generation-skipping tax matters.
- Establishing foundations and other charitable giving programs.
- Providing legislative support, including drafting proposed legislation and testifying before Congress and the Michigan Legislature.
- Handling contested probate matters, including will and trust contests and will and trust construction; intestacy and determination of heirs; spousal rights; challenges to joint financial accounts and other joint property; creditor claims; breach of fiduciary duties and estate tax apportionment proceedings.
- Handling litigation involving federal transfer taxes and related state taxes in federal and state courts, including representing clients on income, gift, estate and other tax matters before all available federal and state courts, tribunals and agencies.
Recent successes in this area include:
- Obtaining probate court orders reforming trusts to provide more favorable tax results for beneficiaries, including a reformation obtained in less than 24 hours prior to the closing of a business transaction.
- Tax-free transfer of nearly $40 million to trusts
- Obtaining a valuation discount of more than 82 percent on closely held stock.
- Transferring more than $150 million to trusts at a tax cost of less than $2,000.
- March 17, 2017
- February 16, 2017
- February 10, 2017
- September 14, 2016
- March 17, 2016
- February 3, 2015
- December 12, 2014
- December 2, 2014
- April 24, 2014
- February 24, 2014
- February 24, 2014
- February 6, 2014
- Eric Thomas Carver Named to Leading Lawyers List of Top Trust, Will and Estate Planning Lawyers in MichiganFebruary 4, 2014
- December 3, 2013
- November 20, 2013
- October 29, 2013
- September 12, 2013
- Dykema Team Helps 12-Member Southern Minnesota Energy Cooperative (SMEC) Finalize Agreement to Acquire Electric Distribution Systems and Related Assets from Alliant EnergySeptember 12, 2013
- July 9, 2013
- June 13, 2013
- March 18, 2013
- December 12, 2012
- December 4, 2012
- November 7, 2012
- May 24, 2012
- November 14, 2016
- November 1, 2016
- September 6, 2016
- September 1, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- May 27, 2016
- November 16, 2015
- November 2, 2015
- September 8, 2015
- September 8, 2015
- August 18, 2015
- April 6, 2015
- December 12, 2011
- October 27, 2011
- “HIPAA Security Rule: What you need to know about Compliance and OCR’s enforcement efforts,”Inside CounselJune 24, 2015
- "Using Forensic Accounting in Trust Disputes,"ABA Commercial & Business LitigationSpring 2013, Vol. 14, No. 3
- November 17, 2016
- Tax and Estate Planning, Transitioning Closely Held Businesses, First Midwest Wealth Management, La Grange, IllinoisMay 3, 2016
- Conflicts Analysis in Estate Planning: A guide to the Duties and Privileges , Docket Call, San Antonio Estate Planners Council, Estate Planning, Probate and Guardianship Seminar, San Antonio, TexasFebruary 11-12, 2016
- Setting Up Your Estate Planning and Probate Practice So You Can Retire with Ease, State Bar of Texas, 2015 Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Course
- Speaker, State Bar of Texas Intermediate Estate Planning Course2014 and 2015
- September 18, 2014
- Non-Probate Transfers, San Antonio Estate Planners Council, 2014 Docket Call in Probate Court Course
- Disclaimers and Joint Property, Institute of Continuing Legal Education, Speaker at and Moderator of day-long seminar entitled, "Planning Techniques for the Taxable Estate"December, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2013
- Drafting in Changing Times, State Bar of Texas 2011 Estate Planning and Probate Drafting Course
- Estate Tax Developments, San Antonio Estate Planners Council, 2011 Docket Call in Probate Court Course
Articles & Alerts
- April 19, 2016
- April 13, 2015
- July 16, 2014
- Michigan Department of Treasury Letter Ruling 2013-3 Provides Guidance to Irrevocable Trusts Claiming Small Business CreditJuly 9, 2013
- June 27, 2012
- Governor Snyder's 2011 Executive Budget Proposal Released: Contains Much-Anticipated Proposals to Change Both State Tax and Spending PoliciesFebruary 2011
- As you probably have heard, the Federal transfer tax (estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax) system is currently in a state of great uncertainty.January 2010